Friday, February 22, 2008

Empty Handed

Spring had come in the middle of my youth
bringing flowers, milk and merry
bright joyous laughter
burden 'ever carried
from morn's light through even' tarry
my heart felt full
and without fear

I questioned not its enduring light
the warmth of friendship
sweet words delight
nor cautioned my heart
to tred lightly
knowing spring is ne'r eternal

But there is summer and the fall
a thousand years before it all
ends; and winter bends
all to have the earth embrace us

---

(second edit)

Empty Handed

Spring came in the middle of my youth
bringing flowers, milk and merry
joyous laughter’s burden ever carried
from morn's light through even' tarried
my heart felt full and without fear.
I questioned not its enduring light:
the warmth of friendship
sweet words delight
nor cautioned my heart
to tred light - ly
knowing spring is never eternal.
But there is summer and aging fall
a thousand years before
it ends;
and winter bends
all
to have the earth embrace us.
A thousand years!
I protest and in anger do confess
The seasons changed their minds
For winter came swift and silent
A slumbering flower, young and bright
Felt the chill of frost’s embrace
A random act
Or fate
Either - life of love did fade

And here I am
In the midst of springs retreat
With winter snapping at my feet
I still bent down to linger
and in its fading fragrance found
my heart comes up empty handed

The earth embraced too soon
The flower